- For a frog, life begins amid a clutch of floating eggs. Tadpoles emerge from the eggs that survive and they undergo an amazing series of change as they slowly lose their gills, grow legs and change their diet from herbivore to insectivore. Life in the water is fun, but frogs being amphibians, which means double life, they take to land, becoming adult frogs after 12 to 16 weeks.
- Unlike the distinct stages of insects, a frog transitions gradually from egg to adult.
- There are about 3,500 different species of frog alive today, on all continents but Antarctica, making frogs the most common amphibians. Frog-like fossils have been found in Triassic era rocks, which means frogs observed the complete rise and fall of dinosaurs and yet still exist today!
- Size: 2-inch-long adult (approx 6x6x4 cm, tadpole 3×7 cm).
Marine turtle (Chelonia mydas)
- The green sea turtle buries her eggs in the sand, in clutches of 75-200. After two months, the hatchlings come out and run for the sea, where they’ll spend the rest of their lives. It takes 10 years for turtles to become adult and they can live up to 100 years.
- Turtles are marine reptiles that can hold their breaths up to 45 minutes.
- Turtles are endangered because of hunting, their nests get trampled and because they get trapped in fishing nets unintentionally.
- Size: adult is 3 ½ inches (7×7 cm) long.
- Salmon are anadromous fish, which means they are born in fresh water and migrate to salt water to live most of their lives. When they are old enough to mate, they begin the long journey back to the streams from which they hatched, where they will spawn.
- Dimension (approx): adult: 9 x 3.5 cm and eggs: 4 x 6 cm
Age: kids 4 and older
Non-toxic and BPA free.
Christie (verified owner) –
These are wonderful! I bought four different sets, one for each of my grandkids.